The Interns and Our Time Feeding Grasshoppers, Riding Donkeys, and Naming Bunnies

     Today is the last day of school. I have my French final, and trust me, after that I will rejoice. I will sit in my living room and play the chorus of the Avett Brother's Colorshow so loud that my family will be forced out of the house. School has been giving me a run this year. My math grade got down to- perish the thought- a B. I don't think I've ever had a low B in my life. Luckily, I've finished off the year with a normal B, which is better. Government and Civics was no problem. I'm glad I can be graded on ranting about different policies and issues. Chemistry was simple fun, but mostly because I got to do experiments with it. Though I didn't blow anything up. When it comes down to it, I'd really rather not. I'm also taking a writing course, which is basically discussing book online with other nerds like me. Needless to say I probably aced that.
    We also took the interns to Akanto's farm in Kante, or to the north. It was much neater than I thought. He has nearly seven hundred chickens, which I took joy in scaring, and a bunch of bunnies. I got Jasmin to hold one and photographed her first time holding a baby bunny. Then we saw all the food and veggies and whatnot, and found a donkey, which I promptly mounted in front of the stares of everyone there. I realized it was tied up after I screamed at it for not going. I also convinced Jasmin and Kelli to ride, though the donkey didn't seem to like Kelli much and tried to eat her leg. Her Kung Fu did not kick in sadly. Yesterday, I also started my job up at the clinic. Kaitlyn (the Straggler), Justine and I tromped all around Kara visiting nine homes and only getting to meet with four children. The sad thing was, all of them were sick and had to stay home from school. All of them were being taken care of by their grandmother. One little girl was huddled in her bed, and another girl had an infected wound on her foot and couldn't go to school to take her final exams. It's as simple as that. And the fact that you're in their home and you can't just fix the problem is simple, sheer pain. At one time you think, "I'm an American, I have resources they don't, I can help them!" But in the end you know that it doesn't work like that. You can't just step in and make it all better. And it hurts. The third thing we did was drive up to Mango, where they're building the Hospital of Hope. We were walked through the whole clinic and hospital and I must say it was impressive that every single room had a very different purpose already, even though it was simply cement walls and floor. The construction on the whole place reminded me of how the smell of sawdust and paint reminds me of my grandparents home in Indiana. We also swam in the magical, American pool. It was lovely. Kelli also found a grasshopper on her swimsuit, and giving in to the pleading of the other interns, gave it a piece of bread, and for the duration of lunch, sat there with a grasshopper eating some bread on her shoulder. I'm sure it was very thankful once it hopped off and someone stepped on it.
    Other than all that, I'm simply waiting for the next day. With the interns here there's something new coming each day, and it's fun to sort of go out and do the touristy things sometimes, even though its' not all touristy. We've put them to work, so there's also a bit of in-depth, hard core experience going on. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a French test to ace and a frustrating French teacher to blow away!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Luckily The Three Students Staying With Us for the Next Six Weeks are Far From Being Duds

The Clinic in the Smallest Biggest Town

Les Mis, Rabbits, and Trampolines